Choosing a new lock for your door? Why not making sure that you are not creating an attractive target for break-ins. Nowaday people are increasingly overlooking what is essentially the most important security issue/parameter for the home – Yes you are right its a lock on their door. Keep reading ahead to get our reviews on whether the company Kwikset locks has been able to cater to this problem or not? If yes, how good is it? If it’s good then which are the best locks manufactured by Kwikset and under what circumstances?
Keep reading ahead to get our reviews on whether the company Kwikset locks has been able to cater to this problem or not? If yes, how good is it? If it’s good then which are the best locks manufactured by Kwikset and under what circumstances?
By the time you finish reading this article and go through some of the best house locks for your home, about 58 houses will have been broken into the United States alone. This alarming data was published by FBI previous month is the cause of concern. As in most of the cases where people are aware of their home security but didn’t take any preventive measures for the same. And by the way, almost in every case, it doesn’t take James Bond techniques and lock picking skills to break into a house.
- 1 Why Kwikset?
- 2 Kwikset Locks Security and Testing
- 3 1. Kwikset Kevo
- 4 2. Kwikset 909 SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt
- 5 3. Kwikset 910 Z-Wave SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt
- 6 4.Kwikset 910 Z-Wave Contemporary SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt featuring SmartKey
- 7 Pros
- 8 5. Kwikset 96870-100 Belleview SmartKey Single Cylinder Handleset with Cove Knob
- 9 Pros
When it comes to select the best locks for your doors, there isn’t too much thinking needed. Why not go with the best industry leader and innovator for home safety – Kwikset. Kwikset is a maker of Smartkey and Kevo Smart Locks and at Kwikset latest technology is used to deliver convenience and quality in door locks hardware.
I am a professional locksmith and have been into this field for more than 5 years, today, I will be only covering the reviews of some of best Kwikset locks and I will be covering each lock in detail, its specification and most importantly – how secure these locks really is.
The locks you use at your doors can be a key to safety. Today the information which I will be covering will guide you with some of the top 10 affordable locks which you can install at your main door. All these locks are independently tested one by one with my tools and after researching each lock for months, I have reached to some of the exciting conclusions which you must definitely read in my article.
Kwikset Locks Security and Testing
When it comes to testing of locks, I have seen tens and thousands of locks that are installed in my customer’s rooms and houses. From all these locks, surprisingly a handful of locks dominates the market of US as over 93 percent of all residential locks are either of Schlage or of Kwikset.
Most of you must be familiar with Schlage locks and it seems that it holds the much bigger share in case of residential lock market due to its cheaper price. There is no such relation between the price of the lock and its safety. I have seen cases where the security of cheap lock is much better than that of any costly lock.
Four out of every five locks which we see today is a standard Kwikset lock and due to this reason, it was the first lock which I tested and later I go with Kwikset SmartKey.
Testing any lock is much more difficult than you even imagine and there are usually five ways which can be used for testing any lock.
- Picking it – This includes simple two tools one applying a turning pressure on the cylinder and other is pushing each tumbler inside until the lock of the door opens.
- Bumping it – This is the easiest way of breaking any door lock that can be done using a bump key. A bump key can be easily made in minutes and 90 percent of the locks in America can be easily opened using a bump key.
- Raking it – This uses a special tool to push two or more tumblers at the same time. This process is much faster than simple picking the lock.
- Pick Gun – As the name suggests, pick gun is manual tool looks like a small handy gun with a long tip. By simply inserting the tip of the gun into the cylinder, all you need is to pull the trigger repeatedly to unlock in seconds.
- Drilling it – By simply drilling in a perfect way, you can easily unlock any door in seconds.
You must have gone through my testing techniques which I will be using to review Kwikset locks and also provide you with detailed information and product reviews on the basis of customer use in this article.
All these 5 locks are tested three times manually and calculated the average time after making three attempts. Although the drilling test was done only once as it was not required again.
Note that the type of tumblers used inside the lock will greatly influence the security of the lock. In some locks, special type of tumblers are used called “Security Pins” which are hard to compromise in a nondestructive way.
1. Kwikset Kevo
Kwikset Kevo is a first generation touch to open Bluetooth smart lock which opens your world with latest Touch-to-Open Kevo Smart lock powered by Smartphone and Bluetooth. This amazing product can be much more convenient and easy to use for those who face a problem of losing their keys. Fumbling with keys is now a thing of the past.
This is the most common lock having more than 1200 customer reviews on Amazon. Well, the most amazing thing about this lock is that you don’t need to fumble with the keys anymore. You can simply leave your smartphone and pocket in your purse and just by simply touching the lock in your smartphone, you can open the door lock.
- No more fumbling with the keys
- Send an electronic key to your friends or any family and relatives who has a compatible smartphone. If you are in office and want to open a door lock of your home, just simply send a key code to your relatives so that they can also use this phone as a key too.
- It is the most secure lock as you can also disable, add or delete the key by using a compatible Kevo mobile application.
- Has a single cylinder deadbolt which can be locked or unlocked by a key from the outside and in another case, turn button on the inside.
- Not easy to assign keys – As I am owning this for a year and assigning keys is a complete headache and it is not compatible with the wifi.
- $1.99 for an additional key – Paying extra dollars can be much difficult as I am already paying more than $200 for the lock itself.
- The unlocking and locking doesn’t work sometimes – Sometimes when unlocking it with the smartphone, it is done instantly and most of the time it is perfect for me as I don’t have to jungle with the keys and in other cases, the unlocking take ages and ages.
But you must be thinking that this application is compatible with my mobile phone and nowadays mobile phones security is at a high risk. So how this gonna help to secure your home. The answer is each device is put through a rigorous security and user experience test so that people using the application has best possible experience and security. Due to this reason, it is compatible with some android devices and iOS devices.
With the evolution of technology, we must also change our old methods and security measures. Your smartphone is now your key with Kevo. With the 2nd Generation Lock system, additional features are provided which allows you to not even take your phone out of purse or pocket. Just touch your lock and it will automatically detect you and unlock the door.
Having an average rating of 3.5 out of 5.0 I personally prefer that you should definitely go with 2nd Generation version which is available for $ 229 on Amazon with free shipment.
Kwikset Kevo is best selling electronic door lock which uses RFID technology and you can grant two devices with full access to e-keys and also share as many as guest keys.
Why juggling with some other door locks when you have the best product in your hand. In spite of some cons I prefer that you must see the advantages of this lock and without having a second thought, go with this one. Eventually, all you need is the security of your home and along with that some extra features which will make your life easier.
2. Kwikset 909 SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt
On the basis of testing and product reviews, I came to conclusion is Kwikset 909 SmartCode is the best which you can choose when going with the security of your home.
While Kwikset Kevo (2nd Generation) is the best option for daily use and if that product seems to be bit costly, you can go with Kwikset 909 Electronic Deadbolt available on Amazon at a reasonable price i.e $115.
Kwikset has been established in home security business from last 6 decades and has been successfully providing security products including Knobs, handles and a wide variety of keyless products. The review of Kwikset 909 is quite amazing and trust me you will be loving the quality of the product.
The smart code touchpad electronic deadbolt is the best locking one touch motorizing system which is used in this lock. It also provides a keyless entry and along with that, the black lid keypad provides an increased visibility.
It is also having a single cylinder deadbolt which can be unlocked or locked with the key from outside and a button from inside. The best thing about smart locks is that they provide the highest level of residential security and also features BumpGround so as to protect against lock bumping.
There is no such headache of any e-lock key and with your personal code, you can enter your home without using any key. in addition to this, for backup this lock system provides a temporary code for your friends and other family members. This security lock codes can be accessed and changed from the panel of switches present at the back of the door.
What you will be getting inside the box
- SmartKey learn tool
- One strike plate
- One Latch
- Hardware for mounting the lock
- User manual
- One Kwikset Smart Code single-cylinder deadbolt
The installation of Kwikset Bluetooth door locks is quite easy which you can get it from simply reading the manual.
In terms of sheer aesthetics, I think that deadbolt definitely gives the impression of security along with its stylish look. Behind the stylish look of the deadbolt, there is something serious hardware.
It is much more difficult for any intruder to use brute force to overcome this lock. If you want to go with security along with some looks no doubt you must go with Kwikset electronic SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt.
You must have gone through top two Kwikset Kevo locks and you can read further to get details about some of best door locks for your home.
3. Kwikset 910 Z-Wave SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt
Kwikset 910 Z-Wave is best preferred for use on exterior doors and other places where keyed entry and security is needed. Having almost the same functionality as that of Kwikset 909 SmarCode Electronic Deadbolt this lock replaces any deadbolt for keyless entry convenience.
Some extra features are available with this lock system like this is programmed for more than 30 custom user access codes and locks your door with just a touch of your button. Due to this reason, the price of this Kwikset lock with door knobs is much higher than that of earlier Kevo Kwikset.
The cost of the product is $150 which is available with free shipment on Amazon.com.
- Programmable up to 30 custom users
- Compatible with Z-wave home automation System
- Locks with just a click on the button
- For backup, keyway featuring SamrtKey re-key technology
- The motor driven Deadbolt latch is installed in each lock which allows you for true remote locking and unlocking
- Starkey Cylinders are used for featuring stainless steel side locking bar, pins, and racks. This is used for increased strength and security
You must be thinking why this Kwikset electronic deadbolt is listed in the third position? As a professional, I am testing locks and for me, it was difficult to alter with the security of this lock.
This is because of patented side locking bar technology which offers improved security that helps to protect against lock bumping.
The Z-Wave technology enables door lock to wirelessly communicate with other devices in the home. The best thing is that by using this latest and amazing technology, a web enabled device can be used to remotely check the door lock status.
You can also lock or unlock the door and also receive your important text or email messages.
The Z-wave controller system can be used to create an “Alarm” device as a sub device on a Z-wave controller.
More than 6o percent of the people have rated 5 stars on amazon.com and this Kwikset 910 Z-wave SmartCode has an average rating of 4.0 out of 5.0.
More than 500 reviews are available and customers are happy with the product quality and features.
The programming of Lock is quite simple and you can program and operate the lock system without a Z-wave controller system.
With the help of this program, you can manually program two access codes at the same time.
If you are using a Schlage lock then you must have noticed that it has 10 buttons on it and on other hand Kwikset has 5 buttons.
The thing which should be kept in mind is that Schlage lock allows four digits as a passcode and Kwicksak has 5 buttons as a passcode.
If we compare the permutations in each case, then
4 to 8 digit codes from 5 buttons than there will be 390,625 permutations
4 digit codes from 10 buttons than there will be 10,000 permutations
From this discussion, we can come to a conclusion that Kwikset is much more difficult to break by lock picking.
Due to some extra features and better security you can also go with Kwikset 910 Z- Wave SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt.
4.Kwikset 910 Z-Wave Contemporary SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt featuring SmartKey
This is the most used Kwikset Signature Series Product which is available for $122.
If you are searching for a system that enables you to match with a couple of other outside doors to the same key and with no additional cost, without any second thought you must go with Kwikset 910 Z-Wave Contemporary SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt.
This Kwikset door lock is hard to pick and is bump-resistant with some smaller and more attractive exterior profile which will be definitely matching with the looks of your door.
For me, the installations were not so complicated and go well. It was quite difficult for me while choosing between Schlage Camelot Accent Lever FE595CAM619ACC and this one.
I ended up choosing Kwikset primarily because of its SmartKey system which is woking quite good for me since last two years.
Just make sure that you allow the bolt oriented cycle to complete the installation of batteries for the first time. The thing I like the most is just by clicking the Lock button while leaving the house, it locks the door.
When entering, I don’t need any key and just by entering the key combination I can easily unlock the door in just a few seconds. I highly recommend you to use dead bolt. The batteries were exhausted just once and it had been almost two years installing this at my door.
- Features SmartKey re-key Technology
- Includes standard deadbolt strike
- Comes with an adjustable latch to fit with standard door preparations
- Can be used to rekey the lock to the other locks of your house
- The buttons never wear out anytime
- Most of the time, codes are not accepting
- The cost is not enough to put up with the quality of product
- Resetting the codes is not easy
There are some negative reviews for this product but overall reviews are 4.5 out of 5.0 which is quite good for me. More than 700 people have reviewed.
At a moderate price of $112, Kwikset 909 SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt featuring SmartKey in Venetian Bronze is the best option which you can go.
5. Kwikset 96870-100 Belleview SmartKey Single Cylinder Handleset with Cove Knob
You have already read about some of the best Kwikset locks, but there’s a difference between ‘some of the best locks’ and the best one! Why not going with the best selling locks of Kwikset on Amazon.
Yes, Kwikset 96870-100 Belleview is the best selling product due to its average price and new features. If you want to go with the design and looks of the lock, just go with this. The beveled design of the Belleview adds some elegance to this most traditional arched shaped lock.
This Kwikset door can be unlocked or locked with a key from outside and a button from inside. This single cylinder headset has a SmartKey Re-key technology allows you to control which person has access to your home.
The veteran Bronze finish provides you with a rich and warm complement to the product style.
- Features an adjustable latch to fit all standard door preparations
- Featuring SmartKey re-key technology which can be done in just three steps
- Hardest Deadbolt ANSI/BHMA Grade 3 Certified
- Has interior lob with universal handling
Available just at $63 on Amazon, this best selling product will help you provide the required security along with amazing looks.
More than 250 people have reviewed this product with an average of 4.5 out of 5.0. For a low budget price, Kwikset 96870-100 Belleview Smarkey is worth a try.